Sensitive Skin Care Treatment Tips
What causes skin to become sensitive?
Anyone can develop skin sensitivity at some time or another. There are many factors that can contribute to skin sensitivity, but it all comes down to a weekend protective barrier that allows common irritants and other elements to penetrate skin’s surface, causing skin to react and develop sensitivity. Many common substances that we come in contact with everyday can cause sensitive skin to become red and blotchy, itch, sting and feel uncomfortable. Often, fragrances, colorants and preservatives used in skin care and cosmetics products can irritate sensitive skin. Extreme cold, heat, water temperatures, smog, smoke and even long air travel can also trigger a reaction. Genetics, some medications, nutritional supplements, and even stress may contribute to skin sensitivity as well.
Sensitive skin needs special, gentle care. Products that are specifically developed and tested for sensitive skin can help control sensitivity. It’s extremely important to protect your skin from daily environmental assault, especially by using sun protection everyday as well as utilizing products containing antioxidiants to help defend and repair weak, sensitive skin.
The Skin Test
- Does your skin become flush or red and itch on occasion?
- Do fragrances, colorants and other skin care ingredients irritate your skin?
- Do most skin care products cause your skin to sting or become red?
- Does your skin feel uncomfortable in colder and drier weather?
- Does your skin appear thin and delicate?
Tips and Techniques for Sensitive Skin
- Keep your skin care regimen simple
- Avoid Scrubbing or cleansing with hot water or harsh detergent cleansers such as soap
- Use skin care specially designed for sensitive skin. Products containing glycolic compound with a pH of 4.4 are clinically proven to have the optimum level for effective results without irritation.
- Use a moisturizer containing antioxidants to help protect and rebuild a weakened barrier and to strengthen the skin against future sensitivity.
- Avoid sun exposure and use a physical sunscreen containing zinc oxide with a minimum SPF 15 everyday.
- Use skin care and makeup that is allergy tested and free of fragrance, colorants and irritants.
The following is a recommended treatment for sensitive skin with Jan Marini Skin Research: Glycolic Acid 4 step process:
- Cleanse:Jan Marini Bioglycolic Face Cleanser– cleanses and exfoliates the skin. Contains glycolic acid; gentle yet effective.
- Correct: Jan Marini Age Intervention Peptide Extreme – a concentrated facial serum that revitalizes, hydrates, soothes inflammation, reduces redness, and firms
- Hydrate – Jan Marini Transformation Face Cream – protects and smooths skin, reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Protect & Soothe – Priori CoffeeBerry Natureceuticals Perfecting Mineral Foundation SPF 25
As always, just for being a follower of our blog, enter coupon code BLOG10 for 10% off your next purchase! Also, remember to follow us @spaboutique on Twitter, like our Facebook page, and check out our boards on Pinterest! You could be the lucky winner of one of our many contests!