Posts Tagged ‘nourish’
Wednesday July 29th, 2009
We did a little survey last week, and the results were pretty interesting: 36% of the responders were not aware of what the purpose of a serum is, and only 40% of responders actually use one.
Keep in mind that this is based on a sampling of Spa Boutique’s customers that on average are women ranging from 30-55.
It makes sense that some people don’t know about serums. TV, magazines and drugstore brands don’t really advertise them, and that’s where most people get their skin care knowledge and advice from.
So what exactly do serums do and why should you use one?
What is a serum?
- Serums are light, fluid emulsions that have high concentrations of active ingredients
- Those active ingredients are usually smaller in molecular size and absorb more rapidly and deeper into the skin
- Where a moisturizer should be tailored to your skin type (normal, dry, oil, combo, sensitive) the serum can focus on the skin condition (dehydration, redness, aging, sensitized, dullness, hyper pigmentation) giving you flexibility and adaptability in your skincare routine
- They boost your current skin care routine and allow you to focus in on a specific issue and resolve it
How do you use a serum?
- A small amount is put on clean skin, before you apply your moisturizer
- They can be used under masks for deep penetrating results and will boost the mask if they are compatible
- Usually they are designed as a treatment. If you’re dehydrated but still combo to oily: keep the rest of your routine the same, but throw in one bottle of Phytomer Hydracontinue Hydra-nourishing Serum. Use up the whole bottle, it should take about a month, and the dehydration should no longer be a problem.
- While boosting ones can be used every so often, there are ones that can be great to use year round. A common result people are looking for is “brightening the skin“. This can be achieved by consistently using a serum that lightly exfoliates and increases cell turnover. A great one is B Kamins Renewal Serum. This is something that can be used all year long and generally improves the texture and tone of the skin.
As with any other skin care product, the absolute best results will be seen with consistent use. Everyday.
Most professional lines will carry a serum for pretty much everything. If you are looking for targeted results, then it’s definitely a product you should consider adding in once and awhile. Make sure that it will be compatible with your moisturizer as both will be sitting on your skin and you want them to work together.
We would love to hear your thoughts on the topic of this blog! Feel free to leave your comments or questions below. As always, just for being a follower of our blog, enter coupon code BLOG10 for 10% off your next purchase! Also, remember to follow us @spaboutique on Twitter, like our Facebook page, and check out our boards on Pinterest! You could be the lucky winner of one of our many contests!